Brussels sprouts take center stage in this creamy garlic pasta dish. Not only are these tiny cabbages delicious, but they also pack a big nutritional punch.
Brussels sprouts are full of vitamin K, which is crucial for blood clotting and bone health. In addition to their fiber content—which helps promote regularity and gut health—Brussels sprouts provide trace amounts of Vitamin B6, potassium, iron, thiamine, magnesium, and phosphorus. When you combine these nutrient-dense vegetables with the antioxidants present in garlic, you end up with a meal that’s not only delicious but overflowing with nutrition as well.
Creamy Garlic Brussels Sprouts Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 lb brussels sprouts quartered
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice divided
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or oil
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 10 ounces gluten-free spaghetti
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil on medium-high heat. Saute the garlic and brussels sprouts for about five minutes, lowering the temperature as needed.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove brussels sprouts and garlic from the pan, place in bowl, and set aside.
- Heat the vegan butter (or oil) on med-high in the same pot from brussels sprouts. Once melted, stir in the cornstarch with a whisk until combined. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, non-dairy milk, and season with salt and pepper. Whisk everything together to make sure there are no clumps.
- Bring to a boil and add pasta. Stir until all of the pasta is submerged in liquid.
- Heat until it reaches a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium cooking for 8-10 minutes, until the spaghetti is cooked through. Stirring to keep noodles in the liquid as the liquid starts to reduce and thicken.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the brussels sprouts and garlic back into the pot, combine them all together, and heat for an additional 1-2 minutes.